Time for a new feature here on Year of Months: This or That? Our first showdown is between two eyeliners.
I’ve been using this Smashbox liner for a long time, but a very fashionable friend of mine recently recommended the Sonia Kashuk liner. She’s a total convert, so I had to give it a try.
- Always sharp – a sneaky sharpener hidden inside the cap maintains the perfect point for clean, fine lines.
- Color selection – seven great colors, including my favorites: French Navy and Storm Grey. Plus, several more sparkly options in their “3D” version.
- Waterproof – as a copywriter who stares at computer screens all day, my eyes can get irritated and watery. Waterproof makeup is always a bonus.
Sonia Kashuk Pros:
- Gel formula – glides on smoothly and blends easily giving you the option of a clean line or smokey eye.
- Longwear – while this isn’t billed as waterproof, the liner definitely stays put throughout the day.
- Price – Only $7.99!
- Price – $20. I’m definitely not buying this one in bulk.
- Always sharp – As much as I love this feature, I feel like I’m wasting product when it shaves a little bit off every time I close the cap.
Sonia Kashuk Cons:
- Color selection – Only four colors, and all are sparkly. I don’t always feel sparkly. The deep violet (aka black tanzanite) is pretty, but I do love how Smashbox’s French Navy matches my limbal ring (settle down, it’s that dark line around your iris…if you have one.)
- Sharpness – while this liner does twist up, the tip dulls with use. Most of the time, I prefer a clean line to a smokey eye, which is harder to achieve once the tip smushes down.
WINNER: This is a tough one, but I have to give it to Smashbox. Truth be told, I like having both options in my makeup bag. At only $7.99, I can buy several Sonia Kashuk liners for the price of just one Smashbox, and it does create a reliably long-lasting line. But, Smashbox wins the overall vote for offering my preferred colors and a precision line every time.